Wednesday, June 13, 2012

On Book Reviews

I've toyed with the idea of posting book reviews, especially this summer since I'm flying through books and I like to share what I'm reading.

But I'm really, really bad at writing them.
And I hate it.

I think this is because I feel uneasy about making value statements about people's work. Whatever the book is, someone worked hard on it and got it published and I'm sure someone in the world will find it useful and enjoyable, so it's not my place to say it's a "good" or "bad" book.

Additionally, I like pretty much every book I read.

Seriously. Check out my GoodReads profile. Basically every single book has received three or four stars ("liked it" or "really liked it"). My favorite books get five stars. And Catcher in the Rye got one. Because it's stupid.

But every time I try to actually write a review, I feel unqualified and give up.

I guess this makes me a disappointment of a librarian. Aren't we supposed to be good at this?

Do you write book reviews? Have any tips? Would you read my pathetic attempts if I posted them here? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment