Monday, June 11, 2012

Things I've learned from my first year of library school

It's officially been "summer" for a week now, and I've been reflecting a bit on my library experience so far.

I've learned a few things.
  • I don't have to read every word of every reading. I can get the gist and participate in discussion without killing myself with thoroughness.
  • It's good to have something productive to do. I like completing assignments.
  • It's OK to refuse to do homework on the weekends. Life's too short.
  • I don't have to be the best. Good enough is good enough.
  • I avoid other people's stress at all costs. I'd like to commiserate, but I don't want to hear it!
Overall, I'm pretty sure I still want to be a librarian. So I guess that's good. However, I know that realistically, no matter how much "instruction" I receive and how many projects I complete, I'm still going to experience a steep learning curve and training time wherever I end up. So really, I feel like at this point I'm just being exposed to the ins and outs of the field. Even after three years of this, I don't think I'll be a library expert or anything. And that's OK.

Also, I think my focus is more narrow than many of my colleagues'. I already work in a library; I more or less know what I want to do and where I'm headed; and really, I think each person's journey is different, regardless of academic training. So where I end up probably isn't dependent on this program.

The honest truth is I kind of just want to be done. Sure, I've learned some stuff. It's been kind of interesting. But my heart definitely isn't in it as much as it was/is when I study theology. But then again, reading the Church Fathers isn't going to pay the bills. So.

Two more years.

No comments:

Post a Comment