Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Reformation Day!

Well, first of all. Happy Halloween!

I'm pretty excited about Ebenezer's adorable panda costume.


BUT, seeing as it's also Reformation Day, I'm thinking maybe he should dress up as Martin Luther.


Yes, it was this day in 1517 that Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses protesting the Catholic Church's use of indulgences to the door of the Schlosskirche in Wittenberg, Germany, thus starting the Protestant Reformation.

I'm quite appreciative of and sympathetic to the Catholic Church--I have a deep, abiding love for it and its history and tradition, and am indebted to it in so many ways.

And yet, be it because of the accident of my place of birth or my parents or my education, I am irrevocably Protestant. Sometimes it's hard to say why, but that's the truth of the matter. And so today, I say Thank You, Martin Luther. Even though you were kind of a turd, and I will pretty  much always take the side of Erasmus when it comes to that debate, you were pretty badass and I would not be where I am without you and your Theses.

No comments:

Post a Comment