Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Warby Parker and Social Media

If you've followed my blog for a while, you probably remember back in August when I posted about my Warby Parker glasses frames home try-on.

It was a really nice experience, and, prompted by yet another Social Media Management assignment, I wanted to talk a bit about the company's social media strategy and how that plays a part in doing their business--and doing it well.

Warby Parker is linked to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. It has "share" buttons for Facebook and Twitter on each product page, which is typical enough.

But where the company really shines is in its actual interaction and correspondence with customers.

On their Facebook page they encourage people participating in a home try-on to post pictures if they need help deciding on a pair of frames. This creates a community of users--other customers comment and like photos and offer their thoughts, and Warby Parker admins also offer advice, complete with flattering compliments.


On Twitter, the people behind the company's account troll the #warbyparker hashtag and respond to just about every @ mention they receive.

Here's the response I got when I tweeted the Instagram photo of my try-on options:


(I did end up choosing the Sinclair--they definitely know their stuff!)

What makes Warby Parker's social media campaign successful, in my opinion, is that they take the initiative to really personally respond to every tweet, and every Facebook post. I don't know how they do it--probably tons of social media reps--but it makes all the difference. So much better than a Twitter account run by a bot.

I'm not sure if they have a way of identifying if individuals who have interacted with their social media accounts actually end up purchasing their product, but I know that would be a valuable metric to have.

Regardless of metrics, though, I think the pleasant experience of interacting with a company in such a positive way is what it's all about. Consumers have a good feelings toward the company, and that makes them more likely to make a purchase, more likely to stay loyal to the brand, and more likely to tell others about the company.

Well done, Warby Parker. You are a shining beacon of what corporate social media should look like.

Have you had a similarly great social media experience with a company? Let's talk about it in the comments!

UPDATE: After posting this yesterday, Warby Parker sent me this tweet thanking me for sharing my experience. Yep, they are on point.

5 comments:

  1. great post! I wish I had known about them when I was trying to decide on glasses a couple months back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to keep them in mind for next time! Or just do their home try-on for fun. :)

      Delete
  2. This is great...and perfect timing. I'm going to the eye doctor tomorrow to update my prescription because I want to get new frames.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is seriously impressive! I really love it when businesses respond to customers on Twitter. I also love it that Warby Parker is also doing it in a proactive way not just responding to complaints or customer service issues. They are really building trust and a relationship with their customers (also who doesn't like being flattered on Twitter?).

    The only real interaction I can think of is when a friend was having an issue with AT&T (his cell phone provider). He Tweeted about it in just a "ugh this just happened" way and added the company's handle. (I think his bill was wrong or something changed without him okaying it.) He got a response right away and even asked for a good time to call and get everything straighten out. He was so impressed that they reached out to him and wanted to even call him at a time of his choosing instead of a bot just replying "Please call customer service at this number".

    I love what Twitter is doing for customer service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Social media is not just good for dealing with complaints. It's fostering a relationship.

      That's a great example from AT&T too.

      Businesses should definitely take note that all it really takes is some human niceness to get people on their side! :)

      Delete