Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Reading, of course

Last night I got an email from the professor of my Information Life Cycle class with the reading list for the quarter.

It's very exciting, and I thought I'd share it with you if you were interested.

  • Buckland, Michael K. 1991. Information as thing. Journal of the American Society for Information Science 42 (5).

  • Brown, John Seely and Paul Duguid. 2000. The Social Life of Information. Chapter 7: Reading the Background.

  • Lee, Hur-Li. 2000. What is a collection? Journal of the American Society for Information Science 51 (12).

  • Benkler, Yochai. 2006. Wealth of Networks: How Social Production Transforms Markets and Freedom. Chapter 3: Peer production and sharing. Yale University Press.

  • Waltham, Mary. 2003. Challenges to the role of publishers. Learned Publishing 2003 (16), 7-14

  • Carlyle, Allyson, and Lisa M. Fusco. 2007. Understanding FRBR as a conceptual model: FRBR and the bibliographic universe. ASIST Bulletin.

  • Taylor, Robert S. 1986. Value Added Processes in Information Systems. Chapter 4: The Value-Added Model.

  • Bates, Marcia J. 1999. The invisible substrate of information. Journal of the American Society for Information Science 50 (12).


I'm thinking about posting responses to the articles up here, just to make myself think critically about them. What do you think? Would readers even be interested in that?

Anyway, it's kind of strange... I guess this class is only 2 weeks long. I never saw any mention of that while registering. But it's kind of cool too--I'll earn 2 credits in 2 weeks! Easy peasy.

All of this is starting to seem real. I leave for Seattle in 6 days, and I am so nervous. Excited, but nervous.

No comments:

Post a Comment